Thursday, September 8, 2016

The Hong Kong Anywhere Church

Image result for Hong Kong church



     When it comes to where and how to meet, there are thousands of opinions. That's why there are so many denominations and beliefs. As a new believer, I wanted to know what the perfect church was from reading the Bible. Then, I would know which one to attend. Ha Ha Ha. Most of the New Testament was written to correct the church even from the beginning. In other words, the churches that Paul started were not perfect. So, I found out by looking and being a part of different churches, that the "Perfect Church" and "Perfect Christian" do not exist.
     To know me well is to know that I'm very passionate about what church is supposed to be like. I'm like most people, so there are things that I like and there are things that I believe should be in a church. I am not like some of my friends that feel that God has made it a command to meet in a house.  Or like other friends that believe you should meet in a very large group before you can call it a church. Although I had a church in my home for three years and enjoyed the experience, I have not found in the Bible any command to only meet in homes.
     I have gone to several of the largest churches in Hong Kong and have friends there. I love and respect the pastors of those churches but still enjoy smaller churches. Whenever a church is over three-hundred people, I start to feel lost. There have been times friends and pastors have told me that a house church is not a real church, because in their mind the Greek word for church means a large assembly. I haven't found this to be true from the studies that I have done.
     Acts 2:46 says they went to the temple and from house to house. Acts 3:1 says they went to the temple to pray. In Acts 5:20, they also went to the temple to tell people the gospel. In Acts 5:12, the church had a healing and miracle service in Solomon's porch. This was a huge building. I came to the conclusion that God doesn't care where you meet as long as you come together to meet. The important thing is what you do when you meet. More on that in a later blog.
     In Hong Kong, it costs a lot of money to rent or own a place to meet. Most people work extremely long hours and usually have rotating days off. Many Christians burn out trying to go to church in the traditional way. If the church isn't taken to the people, there is no way they will even go to church.
     I have a friend that works for an insurance company that started a fellowship in his office. His group became number one in his insurance company. I have other friends that have started churches in areas just to meet the need that is there. I know of several churches just for movie stars, so they won't be chased by paparazzi. There are some churches in Hong Kong that can't afford to rent space so they meet in restaurants. In different countries, there are intentional churches planted and they multiply before they get big, so more people will believe in Jesus. These are some of the fastest growing movements in church history.
     There is a church here in Hong Kong that meets in a restaurant each week. They reserve the whole place and buy a meal for each person that comes to the meeting. The offerings they take up must pay for the meals. One time, I talked to the pastor of the church and he said that they had planted six other churches from that one church.
     I wrote this not to say that any one church is correct or incorrect. I wanted to try to stimulate people to take their view of the church out of the box and try to take the church to the people. Jesus said in Matthew 18:20 that where two or three people are gathered in his name He would be there. I don't believe Jesus cares where believers meet as long as he is being lifted up.
     One of my dreams is to see groups of people meeting every day or night. Whether that is in their work place, in restaurants, parks, or even in a church building.  


No comments:

Post a Comment